Garbage & Recycling
Important Notice! Waste Connections of Canada is cancelling the Bulky Item Pick-up due to COVID19.
Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection
Collection is provided by Waste Connections of Canada Inc., under contract to the Town. For more information on collection in your neighbourhood or for further information, complaints, suggestions, etc. please call Waste Connections of Canada Inc. directly at 250-498-4888
Automated waste collection is becoming the standard for curbside garbage pick up and it is an efficient and safe program. Carts have proven to be a clean and convenient way to roll your waste to the curb.
If you have mechanical problems, your garbage was not collected or your carts have been stolen, please contact Waste Connection of Canada directly at 250-498-4888.
The Large or Bulky item pickup, held on a specific day each spring, allows each home to place out two items per year for residential pickup. Acceptable items such as furniture, mattresses and appliances are listed below. For the annual pickup date for your area please consult your curbside calendar (see top of page).
- Maximum of 2 items of furniture, mattresses or appliances will be accepted
- One scheduled curbside collection per year. Check your Curbside Calendar above for date in your community.
- Place out at regular garbage collection area by 7am on Monday morning on scheduled week in a safe area at the curb
- Items will be picked up on the regular day of garbage collection
- Mattress and boxspring count as two separate items
- NO TVs or Computer Monitors. See note below.
- NO renovation waste, no toilets, no hot water tanks, no carpet, no heat pumps, no furnaces, no plumbing and no doors. See note below.
Some examples of large or bulky items:
- dish washers, microwaves, stoves, washing machines, and dryers (please remove door and shelves and place them beside the unit for safer pickup)
- couches, desks, and chairs
- mattresses and boxsprings (remember placing out a mattress and a box spring would count as 2 items!)
- refridgerators, freezers and air conditioners (please note the Town of Osoyoos program does not accept items containing Freon such as these)
- Please take computers, monitors and TVs directly to free recycling depots. Click here for information and depot locations. The Campbell Mountain, Oliver and Keremeos Landfills will also take all residential electronic waste free of charge. These items will not be collected.
The Town of Oliver will NOT pick up any home renovation/demolition waste or automotive parts including toilets, hot water tanks, doors and other bathroom fixtures.
Participation in the municipal garbage collection service is mandatory for the following types of properties. Billing will be added automatically to Utility Bills.
- properties containing one single family dwelling
- properties containing one duplex dwelling
- properties containing residential complexes of not more than four dwelling units in total
Several classes of residences may also participate in the municipal waste collection service on an optional basis. Alternately, they may haul their own garbage or contract with a licensed private contractor. These include:
- mobile home parks
- townhouse developments with direct entry from outside to individual townhouses
- bareland strata subdivision developments
- residential apartment units above commercial buildings
To participate, entire properties must be included. No partial service will be provided. Final decision on eligibility will be determined by municipal staff with consideration given to traffic efficiency and safety as well as whether or not collection service is available on the adjacent street.
Those properties qualifying for this optional service are billed a quarterly flat fee on their utility bill. Optional service properties may contact the Town office to discuss being added or deleted from this service.
The following properties are not billed for this service and are free to contract with any licensed contractor or haul their own waste to the landfill:
- vacant properties
- industrial operations
- commercial and institutional operations
- apartment buildings
The type of service on these sites is diverse, possibly including bulk bin collection either once per week or more often, or hand dump containers at a central location. Because of this diversity, these properties were excluded from the municipal service in favour of custom service arranged directly with a contractor.
The municipal waste collection service provides once-a-week, curbside collection of mixed refuse. Containers must be placed out for collection by 7:00 am on scheduled collection days either Monday or Friday. See 2019/2020 Garbage Calendar. The fee per residence for this basic service is $30.00/quarterly billing for 2020.
Additional garbage bags can be placed out for collection provided they are tagged with special garbage tags. These tags may be purchased for $1.50 each at Oliver Buy-Low Foods and the Town Office.