The Building Department ensures that the construction of buildings and structures meets the standards of the Building Regulation Bylaw 1140 found here, BC Building Code and applicable federal regulations.

The department deals primarily with the regulation and inspection of new construction, renovations, alterations, additions, and changes in occupancy of existing buildings. 

The Building Department administers the Town’s Building and Sign Bylaws and oversees building permits and inspections.

The Building Bylaw and applicable building and plumbing codes are intended to promote quality construction using up-to date methods and materials. Building permits are needed for most types of construction work, including:

  • to build any residential, commercial, institutional or industrial building
  • to build an accessory structure larger than 10 square metres total area
  • to make renovations, structural changes or major repairs to an existing building
  • to construct or alter a swimming pool
  • to complete an unfinished area in an existing building
  • to install any awning or canopy 
  • to demolish or move a building
  • to extend or change any plumbing
  • to move or place a mobile home or other temporary structure
  • to build or install any wood-burning appliance or chimney

It takes time to perform proper checks of building plans and to inspect the all construction projects underway at any one time. While delays may sometimes occur, we are committed to keeping these to a minimum.

Before planning any construction, check with the Town about what is allowed on your property under the Zoning Bylaw. Unless your project complies with the requirements, you may not proceed without obtaining bylaw changes or a variance permit from Council. In addition, the OCP requires that you obtain a development permit from Council on most industrial, commercial, institutional and multi-family residential construction before the building inspector can accept a building permit application.

Building and Plumbing fees are made up of the following components:

  • Basic application fee of $100 per permit or for a Sign permit $50;
  • plus $10 per $1000 value of construction (VOC);
  • less 10% to 30% for permits relying on professional letters of assurance;
  • $8 for each plumbing fixture; plus
  • $100 inspection fee for water and $50.00 for sewer service.

Building Regulation Bylaw 1140 found here.

The steps in obtaining and keeping a building permit valid are outlined below:

  1. Submit your Building Permit Application along with:
    • two copies of site plan showing property lines, proposed buildings and dimensions to property lines, requested access location and all onsite parking
    • two copies of your building plans, drawn to scale, showing foundations, floor plans, typical cross sections, front and rear elevations
    • two copies of all plumbing, mechanical, electrical, structural and other drawings related to your project (will vary with project complexity)
    • a state of title certificate and a copy of any easement or covenant effecting the building site
    • in flood plain areas, the proposed elevation of the structure (to geodetic survey of Canadadatum)
    • on Highway 97 and provincial roads on municipal boundaries, an access permit from Ministry of Highways
    • Any Schedules prescribed by the BC Building Code for the type of building you are proposing, duly completed and executed by an registered architect or professional engineer, as the case may be
    • For residential construction, all forms required by the Homeowner Protection Office. For further information, please visit
    • $50 application fee
  2. Building plans will be reviewed for compliance with municipal bylaws and regulations. The owner must determine if any easements, covenants or building schemes are registered against the property which may impair plans to build a particular structure.
  3. During the plan review process, you will be contacted by the building inspector if any further information or corrections to your submitted plan are required. Similarly you will be informed if any part of your proposal requires a zoning amendment, variance permit or development permit prior to approval.
  4. Once your plans are approved, the building inspector will calculate your permit fee along with any development cost charges payable as a condition of your permit. The Building Bylaw also prescribes security deposits to cover damage to road features or special street cleaning that may arise from your construction activities. You will be contacted with information on the amount payable to activate your permit.
  5. During construction, you must call the Town office for inspections at all of the stages of construction listed below. a minimum of 24 hours notice is required for inspections.
  • all footings and formwork
  • all concrete walls after damp-proofing
  • radon gas protection
  • framing
  • insulation and vapour barrier
  • underslab plumbing
  • water and sewer connection
  • all rough-in plumbing
  • final overall inspection
  1. Note that final inspections must be received within 2 years of the permit being issued in order to avoid renewal fees or application for a new permit.
  2. Any remaining funds in your security deposit account will be refunded to you following a successful final inspection.

Building Permit Application Form

Mechanical Ventilation Checklist (2015) 

In areas of town where sewer service is not available, a sewage disposal (septic tank) permit from the Provincial Health Inspector must be obtained before submitting your building permit application.

Applications for telephone, cable TV, natural gas and electricity must be made with each utility company. Electrical permits are available from the Safety Authority, 1-866-566-7233.

Except in the industrial area, no extensions to overhead utility lines are allowed inside Town limits. If service is not possible from existing poles, it must be provided underground.

*NEW* Site Identification Process

Only properties with a history of specified industrial and commercial uses are impacted by this process.

Specified industrial and commercial uses

Schedule 2 of the Contaminated Sites Regulation (CSR) provides a comprehensive list of industrial and commercial uses, organized by category, that have the potential to cause contamination at a property.

This Schedule is used to determine if a site disclosure statement is required at certain trigger points. For more information go to BC Government Site.

Recent News

Upcoming Events

  1. Regular Open Council Meeting

    March 8 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
  2. Regular Open Council Meeting

    March 22 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
  3. Regular Open Council Meeting

    April 12 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
  4. Regular Open Council Meeting

    April 26 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
  5. Regular Open Council Meeting

    May 10 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm