The Building Department ensures that the construction of buildings and structures meets the standards of the Building Regulation Bylaw 1140 found here, BC Building Code and applicable federal regulations.
The department deals primarily with the regulation and inspection of new construction, renovations, alterations, additions, and changes in occupancy of existing buildings.
The Building Department administers the Town’s Building and Sign Bylaws and oversees building permits and inspections.
The Building Bylaw and applicable building and plumbing codes are intended to promote quality construction using up-to date methods and materials. Building permits are needed for most types of construction work, including:
- to build any residential, commercial, institutional or industrial building
- to build an accessory structure larger than 10 square metres total area
- to make renovations, structural changes or major repairs to an existing building
- to construct or alter a swimming pool
- to complete an unfinished area in an existing building
- to install any awning or canopy
- to demolish or move a building
- to extend or change any plumbing
- to move or place a mobile home or other temporary structure
- to build or install any wood-burning appliance or chimney
It takes time to perform proper checks of building plans and to inspect the all construction projects underway at any one time. While delays may sometimes occur, we are committed to keeping these to a minimum.
Before planning any construction, check with the Town about what is allowed on your property under the Zoning Bylaw. Unless your project complies with the requirements, you may not proceed without obtaining bylaw changes or a variance permit from Council. In addition, the OCP requires that you obtain a development permit from Council on most industrial, commercial, institutional and multi-family residential construction before the building inspector can accept a building permit application.
Building and Plumbing fees are made up of the following components:
- Basic application fee of $50 per permit;
- plus $10 per $1000 value of construction (VOC);
- less 10% to 30% for permits relying on professional letters of assurance;
- $8 for each plumbing fixture; plus
- $100 inspection fee for water and $50.00 for sewer service.
Building Regulation Bylaw 1140 found here.
In areas of town where sewer service is not available, a sewage disposal (septic tank) permit from the Provincial Health Inspector must be obtained before submitting your building permit application.
Applications for telephone, cable TV, natural gas and electricity must be made with each utility company. Electrical permits are available from the Safety Authority, 1-866-566-7233.
Except in the industrial area, no extensions to overhead utility lines are allowed inside Town limits. If service is not possible from existing poles, it must be provided underground.